If you’ve been following my blog you’ll know I’ve recently built a new shed. And I’ve installed a solar panel. Well I’ve done some more work on the shed. But not all of the work is related to electricity.
I don’t have a lot of large storage space in my house, and so my wife has been unhappy with our bikes cluttering up the conservatory for some time. This means it was always intended for the bikes to go in the shed. But having the bikes clutter up the shed would just be moving the problem out of sight, and not really solving it. So first off lets start with a reminder of how the shed looked before my latest addition.
Please ignore the old wireless access point, that’ll be the subject of a separate blog post in time. The first step was to attach cross members to the structure of the shed so I’m not putting the weight of the bikes on the panels. I’ve attached these using corner braces under the wooden beam to support the weight, and jointing plates to support the lateral loads.
I needed two beams like this to hang the bike hooks on.
I’ve also added a third beam lower down to support the bottom wheel off the wall of the shed.
When I got this far I needed to test hang one of the bikes (mine as it happens).
As everything lined up ok I fitted the remaining hooks (actually the hooks came in pairs, and I need three, so I have a spare).
And so now I have storage for our bikes.
My garden is fully enclosed, so even though the shed lock is not the most secure in the world the bikes should be reasonably secure in the shed.